Labels

Monday 18 May 2020

David Bowie - The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust









As mentioned in the review of Hunky Dory, I obtained my copy of Ziggy Stardust as part of buying a German double LP collection several years after the album was released, having previously been able to play/listen to my brother's LP.

Ziggy Stardust is very different to Hunk Dory, being much more rock orientated, even glam rock at times, with only small doses of the music hall style piano.

The album opens with "Five Years" which is my personal favourtie song on the LP and musically is unlike nearly everything else that follows. Starting with a slow quick-quick drum beat, followed by voice and piano like on Hunk Dory, on hearing the news that the world is dying the song builds from a calm beginning to screaming at the end as strings are gradually added, before finishing with a repeat of the slow quick-quick drum beat. There are some great lyrics "news guy wept and told us earth was really dying, cried so much his face was wet then I knew he was not lying", " I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour drinking milkshakes cold and long, smiling and waving and looking so fine, I don't think you knew you were in this song", and for some reason I have always remembered "my brain hurt like a warehouse it had no room to spare". Just brilliant.

After such a tremendous start it is almost inevitable that the level drops a little. "Soul Love" is quite an interesting song though,  bongos, hand claps, a tender sax break and a mellow toe tapping beat. "Inspirations have I none just to touch the flaming dove. All I have is my love of loving, and love is not loving". The song ends with an electric guitar playing the same refrain as sax for the fade.

I've never really liked "Moonage Daydream. Starting with "I'm an alligator, I'm a mama papa coming for you" it sounds a bit dated now. It has a nice hook though, a funky mellotron and sax break, plenty of glam rock guitar and the pace of song gives it some space to breathe. However, the psychedelic guitar to finish goes on too long.

"Starman" was apparently only written after the record label executives complained there was no hit single on the album. I like like the bass on this.

The final song on side one is "It Ain't Easy". I don't know why they felt need to cover this, it's terrible. For years I thought it was written by The Kinks rather than an American with a similiar name to Ray Davies !

Side two opens with "Lady Stardust", a mid tempo song with elegant piano and its my favourite song on the album after "Five Years". There is a flavour of Hunky Dory on this and and I love the backing vocals. "He was alright the band was all together" and "I smiled sadly for a love I could not obey" are good lines to sing along to.....

"Star" has a rock n roll piano and do-wop la la style backing vocals and ends with the spoken "just watch me now". It reminds me a little of Elton John's "Crocodile Rock" or something Mott The Hoople could have recorded

"Hang On To Yourself" is a fast paced rocker with punk like energy and hand claps in the chorus. The words don't always seem to fit so have to be sung very quickly. The song it reminds me the most of is actually Bowie's own "John, I'm Only Dancing" !

"Ziggy Stardust" has a great guitar riff which I refer to in my mind as either reverse or left handed music as the notes go in the opposite way to what I would normally expect. And Ziggy "played it left hand". I can't say I originally understood the song, for years thinking he was singing "making love with his eagle".....

"Suffragette City" has more rock n roll piano, 60's "Hey Man" backing vocals and a menacing guitar riff. There is also a false ending, wth the restart being "Wham Bang Thank You Ma'am".

The album closes in a similar fashion to the way it started. "Rock N Roll Suicide" begins with a slow stummed acoustic guitar, builds with drums, trumpet and lyrical bass, then strings, then screaming vocals. The opening line "Time takes a cigarette" probably wouldn't be written today though........

A great album, but I still think Hunk Dory is better !


Track Listing :

1. Five Years
2. Soul Love
3. Moonage Daydream
4. Starman
5. It Ain't Easy
6. Lady Stardust
7. Star
8. Hang On To Youself
9. Ziggy Stardust
10.Suffragette City
11. Rock 'N' Roll Suicide

Released 1972
UK Chart Position : 5

Singles :

Starman ( No 10 - 1972 )
Rock 'N@ Roll Suicide ( No 24 - 1974 )






No comments:

Post a Comment