Labels

Thursday 7 May 2020

Big Country - Steeltown



Steeltown is Big Country's second LP and when I first heard it I thought it showed the typical signs of the "problematic second album", not as consistently good as its predecessor but with some great moments. I didn't play it nearly as half as often as The Crossing.

On playback though, it is now a stunning piece of work with not a bad song. Obviously the passing of time has given me a greater feel now for the poetry, and the less frantic, mature playing than the first album, which I hadn't appreciated at the time.

The opening song "Flame Of The West" could easily have been a single, great guitars, rousing chorus, and some some great lines eg "Voice of angel, face of a saint"........."And everyone falls for him, heroines in an ancient film"

"East of Eden" is great too, with menacing guitar, lyrics of despair, but a  sing-a-long chorus, "I was waiting, I was watching, would it ever be there for me? When I felt that hope and a lucky card were all I had to walk with me". Then the deeper message of "I looked west in search of freedom and I saw slavery, I looked east in search of answers and I saw misery"

With a subject material of industrial depression, "Steeltown" could have been a Bruce Springsteen song, before two anti-war songs finish side one. The anti war lyrics of "Where the Rose Is Sown"  contrast with the dualling guitars, great drumming, and instrumental ending makes you want to get up and dance. "Come Back To Me" though is a slow, tender song of the loss of a husband/boyfriend from a pregnant woman's point of view, with poignant military drumming.

Side two starts with the slightly mundane "Tall Ships Go" which is saved by a rousing chorus and the guitar playing. "Girl With Grey Eyes" is a slow romantic, beautiful song showing there is a mellow side to Big Country. "Just like Josephine, it will not be tonight".

"Rain Dance" is a toe tapping sing-a-long, with another bagpipe guitar solo whilst "The Great Divide" has another big chorus, great drum and bass, and more guitar not out of place on The Crossing.

The album ends with "Just A Shadow" which has always been my favourite track on the album. Melancolic but uplifting, and the outro guitar is superb.

In summary, this is an under-rated, forgotten classic from one of the best guitar bands of the 1980s.

Track Listing :

1. Flame Of The West
2. East Of Eden
3. Steeltown
4. Where The Rose Is Sown
5. Come Back To Me
6. Tall Ship Go
7. Girl With Grey Eyes
8. Rain Dance
9. The Great Divide
10.Just A Shadow


Released 1984
UK Chart Position :1

Singles :

East Of Eden ( No 17 - 1984 )
Where The Rose Is Sown ( No 29 - 1984 )
Just A Shadow ( No 26 - 1985 )


No comments:

Post a Comment