Labels

Friday 8 May 2020

Blondie - Parallel Lines



By the time the Parallel Lines LP was released I had already bought the "Picture This" single, which I thought was a great half a single, starting brilliantly with lush keyboards, a nice tempo, a good vocal, a rising chorus and a terrific guitar break before limping to the finish. The B-side "Fade Away And Radiate" was very different to anything previously recorded by Blondie and the mix of psychedelic guitar, courtesy of King Crimson's Robert Fripp, and Debbie's dreamy vocal were promising signs for the forthcoming album.

The album didn't disappoint, but it moved Blondie from a trendy, fringe new wave act to a global pop band. I certainly played the album alot, and it is unusual in this exercise that I can remember every song on the LP, so don't need to replay to refresh the memory. But I'll play it anyway !

On replay there are still a high number of outstanding songs on Parallel Lines. Personally my two favourites remain two of the album tracks, Jimmy Destri's urgent keyboard dominated "11.59" and "Fade Away And Radiate", which I now know is a song about old movie stars - fair to say I had no idea at the time !

The two Jack Lee songs, "Hanging On The Telephone" and "Will Anything Happen" are both catchy up-tempo rock songs, and I was perhaps a little harsh on "Picture This" as it didn't sound so incomplete this time around.

"Sunday Girl" and "Pretty Baby" are similar, being refreshing, lightweight pop songs, and the attitudes of "Just Go Away" still make me smile.

I never really liked the disco cross-over "Heart Of Glass" but I found it ok to listen to now.

"One Way or Another" was covered by One Direction but it still a pretty ordinary song.

That just leaves two poor tracks. I can't say I understand why Blondie felt the need to cover Buddy Holly's "I'm Gonna Love You Too" and "I Know But I Don't Know" is just a waste of four minutes that you won't get back.

Still, 7 to 8 great songs out of 11 is a much better ratio than the vast majority of albums !


Track Listing :

1. Hanging On The Telephone
2. One Way Or Another
3. Picture This
4. Fade Away And Radiate
5. Pretty Baby
6. I Know But I Don't Know
7. 11.59
8. Will Anything Happen
9. Sunday Girl
10.Heart Of Glass
11. I'm Gonna Love You Too
12 Just Go Away


Released 1978
UK Chart Position :1

Singles :

Picture This ( No 12 - 1978 )
Hanging On The Telephone ( No 5 - 1978 )
Heart Of Glass ( No 1 - 1979 )
Sunday Girl ( No 1 - 1979 )




No comments:

Post a Comment