Labels

Monday 26 August 2024

The Only Ones - Even Serpents Shine

 

I'm not sure how I got into The Only Ones. I think I may have heard the single "You've Go To Pay" on Nicky Horne's late night show on Capital Radio or maybe read a good review in Sounds or The New Musical Express. Whatever it was, after purchasing "Even Serpents Shine" I loved it straight away, and would play the album several times a day at home. 

It didn't sound like anything I had heard before, and I thought every track was brilliant. However, after playing the album in the School 6th form common room I discovered The Only Ones were an acquired taste and I was the only one who had acquired it, everyone else hated it !

Whereas The Only Ones' first album was a mixture of musical styles, "Even Serpents Shine" easily fitted into the new wave tag with a consistent set of brilliant songs, intelligent lyrics and brilliant playing dominated by virtuoso guitar of John Perry. Peter Perrett enhanced his persona of the elegantly wasted romantic poet of new wave with his distinctive vocals, which often drew comparisons with Lou Reed.

I thought the opening four numbers where just about perfect, and the standard didn't falter over the over 7 tracks

The album commences with the stunning "From Here To Eternity", a mid-tempo song with great drumming and a superb guitar solo for the fade out. Some of the lyrics are brilliant too and is where the album title comes from. "Such a tender age to sell her soul for dreams that don't come true. She's like a woman whose whole life has dissolved, she's the living proof that all that glitters is not gold and even serpents shine. Ah, she got bitten then, she'll get bitten again while I'm sitting here watching the tide come in" & "I got us into this, I've gotta get us out now. It's you and me all the way. From here to eternity it's you and me all the way"

"Flaming Torch" is a lively toe tapper with a dreamy organ line. "It's a crime I'm always in the wrong place at the wrong time"

"You've Go To Pay" has a jerky staccato rhythm for the verse and a great chorus with backing vocals from Koulla Kokoulli.

"No Solution" is much faster pace, notably for its driving bass playing but the mode slows with "In Betweens" opening with the sound of waves and seagulls noises from Perry's guitar. Again the drums and bass from Mike Kellie and Alan Mair are fabulous together with languid guitar solos, and there is a big finish for the end.

Side one closes the jaunty "Out There In The Night" which I thought was song of lost love, but later I read it was written after Perrett's cat went missing ! Kokoulli provides more vocals and there is another killer guitar solo.

The slower paced "Curtains For You" opens side two and has an ominous, menacing guitar intro.

"Programme" is played at a manic pace, and I can now see a hint of The Buzzocks, and X-Ray Spex when the sax comes in.

"Someone Who Cares" is a change of pace with some lovely piano and finishes with some organ notes which wouldn't be out of place on New Order songs circa 1986-89. "I'm scared of losing the most precious thing I own, wake up one day to find the bird has flown"

"Miles From Nowhere" is an uptempo number and has a beautiful guitar break. "I wanna die in the same place I was born, miles from nowhere".

"Instrumental" as the title suggests, it's an instrumental until near the end line when "Baby, you're just instrumental, just instrumental" is sung twice in echo. It starts with an almost oriental acoustic guitar before the melody is played by an electric guitar backed by the bass and drums. After a searing guitar break the lyric is sung again but this time in clear focus.

In summary, "Even Serpents Shine" sounds just a brilliant now as it did in 1979 !

Track Listing :

Side One :

1. From Here To Eternity
2. Flaming Torch
3. You've Go To Pay
4. No Solution
5. In Betweens
6. Out There In The Night

Side One :

1. Curtains For You
2. Programme
3. Someone Who Cares
4. Miles From Nowhere
5. Instrumental

Released 1979
UK Chart Position : 42

Singles :

You've Go To Pay ( - 1979 )
Out There In The Night ( - 1979 )




No comments:

Post a Comment