Labels

Saturday 10 February 2024

Jo Lemaire & Flouze - Jo Lemaire & Flouze


 

This album is probably the most esoteric in my record collection. Browsing through the bargain bins in my local record shop I came across this on sale for 99p. The name Jo Lemaire struck a chord as I vaguely remembered seeing a review of the album in New Musical Express, but I couldn't remember if the review was good or bad. However, as it was so cheap I took a gamble and splashed out. 

I never found out if the NME review had been good, bad or indifferent, and the only thing I knew about Jo Lemaire was she was Belgian. The only other Belgian artist I knew was Plastic Bertrand, and I had bought "Ca Plane Pour Moi" when it came out in 1977. I seem to remember a phrase "Belpop" being coined, but I could have imagined it !

At the time, I liked nearly all the songs on this LP and played it a lot, so I thought it was a bargain !

Jo Lemaire had been signed by Rocket Records, who were owned by Elton John, and this was the UK version of an album previously released in Belgium, but with the inclusion of the Belgian single "So Static" and its B-Side "What Are We Gonna Do". 

"Stakhanov", "Fat Rats" and "Tintarella Di Luna" had also been single releases in Belgium, whereas "Calendars" was the selection for the UK single to promote the album. All the songs apart from Tinterella Di Luna were sung in English.

Looking at the tracklisting I could remember all of the songs on side one, but only "Fat Rats" on side two....

The vocal on the first track "Running Time" sounds like Lena Lovich but the sax could be from X-Ray Spex, and there is a jerky new wave guitar.

"So Static" has a searing guitar intro which wouldn't have been out of place on a Flock of Seagulls track, before the bass, drums and piano come in launching into a new wave/1960's Rock N'Roll crossover. The vocal reminded me of Pat Benatar.....

"Tintarella Di Luna" was the first hit in Italy for the legendary Mina in 1959 and is a Rock N' Roll song about a girl who sunbathes under the moon on a rooftop, just like a cat. Jo Lemaire's version, also sung in Italian, is a bit more fun with male backing vocals but retains the 50's Rock N' Roll vibe.

"Stakhanov" is a toe tapping number with a mazy guitar solo and frantic sax. Stakhanov was a heroic Soviet Miner who achieved record production for the Communist regime, I presume this a song about him. "Staka, Staka, Staka, Staka, Stakhanov".

"Strolling Players" begins with jaunty wind instruments and sax. Its another toe-tapper and has a nice catchy hook. "You are the father, master of strolling players"

Side one closer "Calendars" has a chilled out guitar and sax intro, a mid-tempo beat and a really nice sax solo in the middle of the song. "I go up when you go down, I have tomorrow you have now, I take wine you take water". Hearing it again, it sounds really great - it should have been a hit !

"Keep Step" opens Side Two. It has a jerky fast paced rhythm but it's one of the weakest tracks on the album and sounds like a poor rehash of "Stakhanov".

"What Are We Gonna Do" has a Cars style bass and keyboards intro, and the recurring riff hints at The Stranglers "Hanging Around". I didn't remember this song, but I quite liked it hearing it now.

"Fat Rats" was my favourite song on the album, and it still sounds good. The groovy sax and the down stroked guitar now reminds me of Vanessa Paradis' "Joe Le Taxi" which came several years later, whilst the vocal has a suggestion of Siouxsie and the Banshees. "I would like to be cat, hunting in the street". 

"Rumours Said" is pleasant enough with a strummed electric guitar and some kind of wind instrument.

"Follow Me In The Air" is a lightweight pop song which again made me think of Pat Benetar but there is some weird sax playing which sould like it should be in another song !

Hearing the album today some of the production seems a bit lightweight, perhaps it was recorded on the cheap, and I'm not always too sure what Jo is singing. However, despite that there is still some decent material here, and I particularly like "Fat Rats", "Calendars" and "Tinterella Di Luna", as well as several other of the the songs.

Track Listing :

Side One :

1. Running Time
2. So Static
3. Tintarella Di Luna
4. Stakhanov
5. Strolling Players
6. Calendars

Side Two :

1. Keep Step
2. What Are We Gonna Do
3. Fat Rats
4. Rumours Said
5. Follow Me In The Air


Released 1980
UK Chart Position : -

Singles :

Calendars ( - 1980 )


 

No comments:

Post a Comment