Labels

Monday 6 November 2023

The Jam - In The City


I'm not sure if this was the first punk album I ever bought, but it was either this or the Stranglers' Rattus Norvegicus. 

Some would argue "In The City" wasn't actually punk and The Jam rode on the coat-tails of the punk movement. After all, they wore suits and ties, they were anti the Labour government of the day, and Paul Weller famously said he would vote Tory at the next election. They were not trying to cause anarchy and mostly sang about dancing, relationships and the frustrations of growing up and living in 1970's Britain. 

In "Sounds From The Streets" Weller actually sang "I know I come from Woking and you say I'm a fraud, but my heart is in the city where it belongs", virtually acknowledging The Jam were outsiders.

Musically, the production on "In The City" was rough and unpolished, but with the Rickenbacker guitar sound, strong melodies and 1960s R&B influences, critics regularly made mention of echos of The Who and The Kinks. Indeed, one critic commented that "In The City" sounded more like The Who than The Who ever did ! 

Instead, it was said that The Jam were in fact the leaders of The Mod Revival rather than The Lambrettas, The Merton Parkas or Secret Affair. I don't think they were ever photographed with mopeds though !

Shortly after the release of "In The City", The Jam came to play a gig in Crawley, but it sold out almost immediately so I wasn't able to see them.

Looking at the track list I could remember all the songs except the last three. "Away From The Numbers" and "Sounds From The Streets" were the songs I remember liking best.

Side One opens with "Art School", which is perhaps the most punk song recorded by The Jam. It has a traditional punk 1-2-3-4 at the start and guitar feedback at the end. Possessing choppy guitar and fast paced aggression but still catchy, the song calls for a rejection of the normal conventions and to do and wear whatever you like. "The media as watchdog is absolutely shit, the TV telling you what to think"

"I've Changed My Address" is one of The Who sound alike songs, with the 19 year old Weller calling out the dangers of getting married and settling down too young. "Never could see what was with this matrimony thing" and "Couldn't see me settling down with a mortgage and kids"

"Slow Down" is a cover of a 1950's song that was also covered by Beatles. There is a great bass line and  manic drumming, and a guitar solo.

"I Got By Time" is slightly slower and has a strong 1960s feel to it. I loved the middle 8 and the backing vocals from Bruce Foxton.

"Away From The Numbers" remains a fantastic song. Touching, melodic, almost mellow, and a glorious chorus, but it builds up to an angry chorus. "I was sick and tired of my little niche"

The "Batman Theme" was also covered by The Who, and is a joke that fades after a couple of plays. It always reminds me of the joke of how does Batman's mum call him to come home for his meals ? Batman, dinner, dinner, dinner !

"In The City" has a similar riff to the Sex Pistols' "Holidays In The Sun" and the two bands used to play the other song as an intro to their own song, It was the only single from the album, and I was surprised it see it only got to number 40 in the UK chart.

"Sounds From The Streets" has a super melody, great guitar and almost Motown style backing vocals. It's easy to imagine The Who singing this song.

"Non-Stop Dancing" is a stomping R&B song and another track with a great middle 8.

"Time For The Truth" is a critique of the then Labour Prime Minister Jim Callaghan. "I think it's time for truth and the truth is you've lost, uncle Jimmy" and "and you're trying to play the hero, but you never walk home in the dark". It's a good song, and I was surprised I couldn't remember it.

"Takin' My Love" is a standard rocker with the riff of the verse similar to "Slow Down". It is pretty much in the category of album filler.

The album closer "Bricks And Mortar" moans about knocking down houses to build car parks, but it has the least interesting tune of all the songs on the album, and a long guitar outro. I've already forgotten how it goes.

In summary, "In The City" remains a very good album, with a number of outstanding songs.

Track Listing :

Side One :

1. Art School
2. I've Changed My Address
3. Slow Down
4. I Got By In Time
5. Away From The Numbers
6. Batman Theme

Side Two :

1. In The City
2. Sounds From The Streets
3. Non-Stop Dancing
4. Time For The Truth
5. Takin' My Love
6. Bricks And Mortar

Released 1977
UK Chart Position : 20

Singles :

In The City ( No 40 - 1977 )


 

No comments:

Post a Comment