Labels

Monday 26 December 2022

The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits ( 1971-75 )

 


According to Wikipedia, the Eagles' Their Greatest Hits ( 1971-75 ) album is the best selling greatest hits album of all time worldwide, and the fifth best selling all-time album, behind Michael Jackson's "Thriller", AC/DC's "Back In Black", the sound track to Whitney Houston's "The Bodyguard" and Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon".

I have to admit that I only purchased the LP after buying their "Hotel California" release ( the 6th best selling LP of all time ! ) and didn't know too many of the songs on it at the time, Indeed, in the UK only three of their greatest hits had made the top 30, and none of them were top 10 hits. But it still went onto to be the 5th best selling global record of all time.....

I was probably guilty of following the crowd when I purchased the album. I was familiar with a few of the songs, especially the country/folk rock of "Take It Easy" and "Lyin' Eyes" but thought the backing vocals on "One Of These Nights" and "Take It To The Limit "were akin to screeching cats  ! I was unfamiliar was all the other songs though.

However, after a few plays I came to realise, like most of the planet, that here was a collection of outstanding songs, even if they were not properly promoted at the time to be hits in the UK.

The Glenn Frey/Jackson Browne composition "Take It Easy" opens side one, and is my favourite song in this collection. Having also heard Jackson Browne's version, I find the Eagles' version to be superior, it seems to simply flow much better. Apparently there is now a statue of Frey on a corner in Winslow, Arizona after the lines "Well, I'm standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, such a fine sight to see. It's a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford slowing down to take a look at me"

Don Henley performs the vocals on "Witchy Woman", a song about a seductive, manipulative, sexy women, with the guitar having an blues feel to it. When I first heard it I thought it was something that a Soul/R&B band like Tavares might have recorded, although hearing it again I don't know where I got that impression from ! However, it's my least favourite track on the album and some of the high notes sound painful !

The gentle country/folk rock feel returns with "Lyin' Eyes", which Frey reportedly stated was inspired by seeing many beautiful women accompanied by fat, ugly older men in restaurants in Los Angeles barely able to hide their lying eyes. Starting off with "City girls just seem to find out early, how to open doors with just a smile" the whole songs is crammed full of carefully crafted lyrics. The album version is over 6 minutes long, although it was brutally shortened for the single. Thankfully, the full version is presented here.

"Already Gone" is a more up-tempo country rock cover sung by Frey. It's a song about a relationship breaking up. "And they said you were gonna put me on a shelf, but let me tell you I got some news for you. And you'll soon find out it's tryu, and then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself"

Henley returns to sing the soaring ballad "Desperado", a song about an older man scared of commitments. "Desperado, why don't you come to your senses" & "You better let somebody love you, before it's too late".

Side Two opens with "One Of These Nights", not to dissimilar to "Witchy Woman" in style, but vastly improved. It was a number one in the USA and their first chart success in the UK. Henley is the lead vocalist, although bass player Randy Meisner sings the high harmony in the refrain, with hints of the Bee Gees. "I've been searching for the daughter of the devil himself, I've been searching for an angel in white. I've been waiting for a woman who's a little of both, and I can feel her, but she's nowhere in sight"

"Tequilla Sunrise" is about a guy who is infatuated with a girl who doesn't seem to know he even exist, and he drinks trying to pluck up the courage to speak with her. Another country/folk song sung by Frey, with The Eagles' trademark harmonies

"Take It To The Limit" is Meisner's only lead vocal on the album, which he co-wrote with Henley and Frey, and is famous for the high notes he hits during the dramatic, slow ballad. "You can spend all your time making money, you can spend all your love making time"

 "Peaceful Easy Feeling" is another pleasant country/folk song sung by Frey, and is the second song on the LP not written by the band, both of which were either written or co-written by Jack Tempchin. The title is actually a perfect description of listening to the song !

Side Two ends with the sweet, melodius sounding "Best Of My Love" but it is actually about a relationship breaking up. "I'm going back in time and it's a sweet dream. It was a quiet night and I would be all right if I could go on sleeping". It was the band's first US number 1.

Overall, this remains a classic greatest hits collection from one of the world's best selling bands.

Track Listing :

Side One :

1. Take It Easy ( 1972 - )
2. Witchy Woman ( 1972 -  )
3. Lyin' Eyes ( 1975 - No 23 )
4. Already Gone ( 1974 - )
5. Desperado ( 1973 -  )

Side Two :

1. One Of These Nights ( 1975 - No 23 )
2. Tequilla Sunrise ( 1973 - )
3. Take It To The Limit ( 1975 - No 12 )
4. Peaceful Easy Feeling ( 1972 -  )
5. Best Of My Love ( 1975 -  )

Released 1976
UK Chart Position : 2



No comments:

Post a Comment