Labels

Monday 15 June 2020

The Cars - Candy O




I never really thought of The Cars as "new wave" but rather, just a good pop band taking from the popular trends. I felt they wanted to be a band on the radio or TV rather than a band than wanted to change the world, or make big statements.

I liked their early singles "Best Friend's Girl", "Just What I Needed", "Good Times Roll" but never got around to buying the first album. However, when Candy-O, the second album came out I bought it shortly after its release. I presume it might have been on special offer ?

At the time I thought it was a bit dull but thought most of the songs on side one were quite good. I don't think I liked side 2 much though. However, having played again it was alot more interesting than I remember.

The first song, "Let's Go", is the best on the album and for a while was their biggest hit in the US. There's nice guitar and bass riffs and handclaps on the chorus. Upbeat and with a catchy, infectous chorus "I like the nightlife Baby, she says, let's go".

The verse of "Since I Held You" is a bit like "Best Friend's Girl" but without the bass riff but it is quite a pretty song. "It's All I Can Do" has a slower beat, a pretty synthizer line and a catchy chorus. The vocal is pretty good too.

"Double Life" is quite hypnotic with a slow bass intro. There is a hint of Kraftwek in this song, and I also like the backing vocals, and guitar line of the outro fade. It's the best song after "Let's Go".

I think the word to describe "Shoo Be Doo" is experimental. I suppose the electro synth is supposed to be scary, but its not a very good track. It leads into the electro pop of "Candy O" where the vocals sounds to me a lot like David Bowie in his Heroes/Lodger period. There is also a sudden end to the song and side 1.

"Night Spots" opens side 2 and with its repetitive keyboard riff could be by Devo and "You Can't Hold On Too Long" is another song that sounds like David Bowie but with early Talking Heads guitar.

"Lust For Kicks" is probably the best song on side 2 with a tinny synthizer riff, something that might have figured on an early OMD song. The chorus again hints at "Best Friend's Girl". I like it.

"Got A Lot On My Head" is early Blondie meets Sex Pistols meets Gary Numan. Its not as bad as that sounds !

"Dangerous Type" is a magpie of a song with a T-Rex guitar riff intro ( think Get It On ) with Devo style synthizer.

Overall, The Cars have taken a lot different styles and blended them together. The result doesn't sound too deriative, and there are some good moments on this album. It was much better than I thought it was.

Track Listing :

1. Let's Go
2. Since I Held You
3. It's All I Can Do
4. Double Life
5. Shoo Be Doo
6. Candy O
7. Night Spots
8. You Can't Hold On Too Long
9. Lust For Kicks
10.Got A Lot On My Head
11. Dangerous Type


Released 1979
UK Chart Position : 30

Singles :

Let's Go ( No 59 1979 )
It's All I Can Do ( - 1979 )
Double Life ( - 1979 )














No comments:

Post a Comment